Monday, November 4, 2013

Planning Menus

What's on your dinner menu for this week? 

[I might need ideas.]

Actually, I just sat down last night and wrote down 5 ideas for suppers this week. Yes, I know, there are 7 days in a week, not only 5. But Sunday nights are grab-and-growl [get/fix/make your own] and I'm sure we'll have leftovers for at least one night, so there we go: 5 meals. 

I like to try to use things I have on hand so I don't have to buy tons of groceries. 
So, here goes: 

#1: Spaghetti and meatballs (lots of meat, peppers, onion and mushrooms per the husband's request) 

-venison from the freezer
-homemade sauce (yay for canning!)
-fire roasted peppers and onions (hanging out in the freezer for a few weeks now)
-canned mushrooms (a staple at this house)
-spaghetti 

#2: Sausage gravy and biscuits (comfort food at its finest, yes please!) 

-sausage from the freezer
-milk and flour to make gravy
-flour,salt,baking powder,milk and oil for biscuits (already in my cupboard!)
My personal touch to this menu is to drizzle with syrup (yummmmm)

#3: Meatloaf and potatoes (easy enough and my husband is a meat and potatoes man)

-meatloaf from the freezer (I made a big batch of mini meatloaves [not sure why?] but it's time to use them)
-potatoes (mash,bake,whatever…probably depends on Zane's nap for the day)

#4: Chicken, broccoli, and carrot stirfry (and any other vegetable I find laying around)

-Frozen chicken breast 
-Frozen broccoli
-Big bag of carrots that need to be used
-Season with butter, garlic, and/or any other spices in my cupboard

#5: Pizza (this is the go-to meal here) 

-homemade crust (easy,peasy)
-homemade sauce (Mom's recipe is the best)
-peppers/onions/mushrooms/bacon bits 
-pepperoni 

-and the only item I had to buy to complete this weeks menu: CHEESE. for the pizza. (it's pretty much a staple) 

I did buy a few other things: milk, eggs, coffee, oatmeal, bananas, Wheat Thins (if you care to know). I strongly dislike grocery shopping more than once a week so if I'm running low on things we eat a lot, I buy it and it can wait in the pantry or fridge for a few days. 
I'm finding that when I take a few minutes to write down ideas, my grocery shopping is much more organized and I actually get what we need, not just what looks good as I meander down the aisles. 

Share the love. Share your menus. :) 
Happy Monday. 





1 comment:

  1. I completely agree on menu planning making grocery shopping so much easier. I actually really like grocery shopping, which means I can stick all kinds of random, good-looking things in my cart and suddenly it turns into monster bill! Your menu ideas sound perfect for the cold weather! Last week we did pizza, fajitas, soup, and leftovers. Thankful for a husband who doesn't mind leftovers. ;)

    ReplyDelete